Sunday, December 14, 2008

I'm Quitting You, Oscar De la Hoya!!!



For months I talked an incessant amount of shit to every Filipino I knew. One, cuz no Filipino is over 5'8" and @ 6'2" I think I'd stand a pretty fair chance if one of them actually wanted to physically harm me. And two, because I was sure that Oscar De la Hoya, my fellow Mexican, would whup Manny Pacquiao's Filipino monkey-ass. I woulda bet my left testicle on it. I was that sure...

I decided not to shell out $20 to go watch the fight at some sports bar and it was probably one of the smartest financial decisions I've ever made. Ever. De la Hoya got annihilated. Systematically and cerebrally picked apart by a faster, more superior fighter. It was like watching Old Yeller getting shot in the pasture. It was embarrassing. The only thing that was missing was Smokey from "Friday" standing over De la Hoya's prone, lifeless, body and screaming, "You got knocked the f*** out!!!" At one point during the fight, A.C. Slater (Mario Lopez) got up from his seat and started shouting @ De la Hoya, and this was a guy who got punched by Zack Morris. It was that bad. De la Hoya won one round on one scorecard. It was a slaughter, it was an execution, and Pacquiao was the short, Filipino, executioner. Only there was no hood or guillotine, only jabs and uppercuts that led to the welts on "The Golden Boy's" face.

The "boxing fan" gene I inherited through my Dad. I've been watching boxing since as far back as I can remember. But De la Hoya was my 1st favorite boxer. He was charismatic, talented, and brought in millions upon millions of dollars in revenue.

And of course, he was Mexican.

He won the Gold Medal @ the '92 Olympics in Barcelona, was undefeated though his 1st 31 fights, and won 10 world titles in six different weight classes. But in spite of all that, De la hoya could never win the big one. He beat boxing legends like Julio Cesar Chavez (twice), Hector Camacho, and Pernell Whitaker, but they were all in the twilights of their respective careers. Other guys he beat, like Ike Quartey, Arturo Gatti, Fernano Vargas, and Ricardo Mayorga were all good fighers but were nowhere as good as him. But in the big-money matches, De la Hoya always fell short. He lost a controversial decision to Felix Trinidad, lost two more controversial decisions to Shane Mosley, got knocked out by a bigger Bernard Hopkins, was out-pointed by Floyd Mayweather. The Pacquiao fight was supposed to cement his legacy, that he COULD finally beat someone that was on-par with him. But Manny went through him like lumpia...

I hope Oscar hangs him up. Boxers retire and unretire like rappers but I hope he stays away, I mean, would you wanna hear a fat Jay-Z rap in 20 years? I was disappointed, but that's just part of being a sports fan. Pacquiao's the real deal, and I deserved the trash-talk I got from multiple Filipinos this week. At the very least, I have both my testicles...

Anthony

1 comment:

Daniel DLS Lee Soon said...

you can add BJ Penn to the list of embarassments after tonights fight.